Updated:
Original:

Officials: Fire at Duluth home caused by solar panels

The blaze did $40,000 worth of damage.

Solar panels on the roof of a home in Duluth caused a fire that did $40,000 in damage on Wednesday. 

The Duluth Fire Department says a passerby noticed smoke coming from the roof of a home on the 2200 block of West 6th Street in Duluth's Lincoln Park neighborhood and called 911. 

Police officers assisted the homeowner and her dog out of the home before the fire department arrived at 2:03 p.m. 

Firefighters found charred wood, dripping tar and smoke in the attic, determining the fire was coming from the area of the roof where there are solar panels.

They shut off power to the home and Minnesota Power responded to de-energize the solar panels, the release said. Crews removed the panels and continued to fight the blaze. 

The Duluth Fire Marshal's Office determined the fire was accidental, caused by the solar panels. Damage is estimated at $40,000. 

Bring Me The News has reached out to Minnesota Power for comment. 

The U.S. Department of Energy has a website dedicated to the safety of solar photovoltaics (PV), saying there are many steps required to ensure the safety of firefighters who are battling a fire involving solar panels. There's a special training program to teach firefighters and fire code officials about managing solar equipment as they put out fires. 

Follow Bring Me The News on Twitter for the latest breaking news

However, these types of fires aren't all that common, with the Department of Energy saying "as with any electrical system, a PV system that is properly installed by a qualified vendor should not introduce any significant risk to your home."

The website notes there is no "clear data" on the number of fires caused by rooftop solar panels in the United States. But in Germany, a 2018 report says 210 of the 430 fires involving solar systems were caused by the system itself, noting Germany has about 1.7 million PV systems installed. The U.S. has about 1.8 million.

The Solar Energy Industries Association says it is "extremely rare" for solar equipment to cause a fire, but one may occur if there is "an improper connection or other electrical/fire hazards is present."

Next Up

ATV

Driver killed in ATV rollover crash north of Alexandria

The crash occurred in Douglas County Sunday evening.

Wikimedia Commons - COVID vaccine, pfizer, shot - Martin G

Pfizer says COVID-19 vaccine is effective in kids ages 5-11

The company plans to seek U.S. authorization for the age group soon.

storm, wall cloud, severe wather

Damaging winds, tornadoes again possible in Twin Cities Monday

Storms are expected to intensify during the early afternoon hours.

ambulance

3 people stabbed in suspected domestic incident in Crystal

A man who was injured has been detained in the incident.

police lights

Man surrenders after 12-hour standoff at Eagan home

There was a SWAT response early Sunday morning.

Greg Joseph

Vikings radio call thought kick in Arizona was good

From jubilation to devastation in a moment.

Related

Screen Shot 2021-08-29 at 9.07.07 AM

Lightning strikes Duluth church, causing $185k in damage

The damages will also result in multiple street closures near the church.

duluth ship fire

Duluth fire crews battle blaze on 118-year-old lake freighter

The J.B. Ford, which is the oldest intact lake freighter still floating, has been housed at a scrapyard since 2015.

kozy bar fire

Fire at Kozy Bar building in Duluth is the second in 6 months

The building has been uninhabitable since a fire in 2010.

Facebook - Spoons bar grill fire - Duluth Fire Department

Duluth restaurant catches fire twice in one morning

Hours after putting out one blaze, firefighters returned to tackle another.

lightning fire

Lightning likely cause of fire at Stearns County home

The fire happened as storms pushed through Minnesota.

duluth police department

Duluth firefighter cited for assault of woman who asked him to leash his dogs

The assault happened on the Traverse Trail in Duluth Friday morning.

duluth fire house

15-year-old girl helps save family from burning home

“If she hadn’t woken up, and notified her parents, this could have been a different situation."