Pit bull saves Minnesota family from destructive house fire

They were asleep in bed when their house caught fire Sunday night.
Author:
Publish date:
Mile the pit bull

A family dog saved the lives of its owners when it woke them as their house was about to burn down.

According to an online fundraiser for the family, Dave and Carrie Hansen of Industrial Township, in St. Louis County, saw their home and garage burn to the ground Sunday night.

The fire caused $750,000-worth of damage, destroying all their possessions inside the house and garage, as well as their vehicles and tools.

And if not for their dog, a pit bull mix named Milo, they might not have survived the blaze. 

"We were pretty sound asleep," Dave Hansen told the Duluth News Tribune. "The fire alarm could have been going off, but if the dog didn't wake the wife up and the wife didn't wake me up, I still would have been lying there."

The Duluth newspaper notes that Hansen is a woodworker and mechanic who makes a living doing odd jobs, and all of his tools were destroyed. 

"Everything they have spent their whole life building has been lost," the GoFundMe setup by one of the couple's children, Adrieona Hansen, says. 

"Unfortunately, having lost all his tools and equipment in the fire for his business, my dad is not able to generate any immediate income." 

Sign up for our daily newsletters

The home was still under construction and therefore wasn't insured, meaning everything was a total loss. 

Milo is a 2-year-old family dog that the Hansens brought home about a year and a half ago. 

"He's going to miss his big open space to play with his toys/balls for a while," Adrieona told Bring Me The News.

In addition to the GoFundMe page, there's a Facebook fundraiser available here

Industrial Township is located about 20 miles northwest of Duluth. 

Next Up

Related