High levels of toxicity caused by blue-green algae has been discovered in an Edina lake.
The high Microcystin levels have been recorded in Mirror Lake, south of the Interlachen Country Club, with residents urged to avoid contact with the water.
The Nine Mile Creek Watershed District took samples from the lake, with the toxin levels consistent with "excess growth of blue-green algae."
"The latest data indicates Microcystin levels are at a level that presents a public health risk," the City of Edina said.
"Exposure to Microcystins may harm the liver and be harmful to kidneys and, in extreme cases, death."
The city is advising anyone who notices symptoms – which include jaundice, shock, abdominal pain/distention, weakness, nausea and vomiting, severe thirst and rapid or weak pulse – to contact their healthcare provider.
It's also potentially dangerous to pets, with blue-algae toxicity having previously having caused the deaths of several dogs in Minnesota.
Blue green algae isn't actually an algae, but a freshwater bacteria called cyanobacteria. With foul-smelling blooms that resemble pea soup.
It generally presents during warm weather when the water is stagnant and rich in nutrients.