Recall issued on space heater that caused deadly Chanhassen fire

A 90-year-old was killed in a fire started by one of the heaters in December.
Author:
Publish date:
Screen Shot 2018-08-23 at 8.12.25 AM

More than 350,000 space heaters have been recalled in the United States after one of them started a fire that killed a Minnesota man. 

The possibly defective space heaters were made by Vornado, which is recalling the VH101 Personal Vortex Heater, including all models sold between 2009 and 2018. The heater can overheat, causing fire and burn hazards. 

According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, a 90-year-old Chanhassen man died in December 2017 as a result of a fire involving one of the recalled heaters. In all, there have been 19 reports of the Vornado heater starting on fire. 

All colors of the heater are under the recall: coral orange, grayed jade, cinnamon, fig, red, ice white and black. 

Owners of the product can get a free replacement heater or receive a refund of $30. 

If you think you own one of these space heaters, you can enter product information here to find out if it is among those affected

Find more Bring Me The News stories on Google News.

The victim in the fatal Dec. 5, 2017 fire was identified by the Hennepin County Medical Examiner's Office as George Charles Dorsey Jr., who died from thermal injuries. 

According to Dorsey's obituary, he was the father of 12 children. He served in World War II and was a doctor at the Minneapolis Clinic of Neurology and Psychiatry, St. Mary's Drug and Alcohol Rehab. 

Next Up

Related