An FBI memo obtained by Yahoo News reportedly includes warnings of "credible threats" of extremist right-wing violence planned in Minnesota this coming weekend.
The Yahoo report cites situational information report produced by the Minneapolis field office of the FBI, which has been compiled from "collaborative sources."
Issue on Dec. 29, a week before a mob of Trump supporters and right-wing extremists attempted an insurrection at the U.S. Capitol, the report warns of far-right "boogaloo" movement plans for rallies across the country.
"Specifically, the report describes evidence of credible threats related to events planned for Jan. 17 (Sunday) at the state Capitol buildings in Michigan and Minnesota," Yahoo notes.
At this stage, there are no rallies publicly listed as happening at the Capitol on Jan. 17.
The story came on the same day that another FBI memo obtained by ABC News warned that "armed protests are being planned at all 50 state capitols" between Jan. 16 and Inauguration Day, Jan. 20.
Minnesota authorities are familiar with the "boogaloo" movement, with three so-called "boogaloo bois" arrested and charged with federal crimes for turning up in Minneapolis during the George Floyd protests and subsequent riots in May.
One of them allegedly sought to sow chaos by firing 13 rounds into the Minneapolis 3rd Precinct while shouting "Justice for Floyd!" while two others have been charged with providing material support to the terrorist group Hamas, after they were allegedly involved in planning anti-government and anti-police attacks.
The Boogaloo Bois is a far-right extremist movement of loosely connected groups that support anti-government sentiments and are associated with violent uprisings ("Boogaloo" references an impending second Civil War in the U.S.), the Department of Justice says.
Members of the "overwhelmingly white online subculture" have shown up at protests, including in Minneapolis, heavily armed and wearing Hawaiian shirts, says the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC), which tracks hate groups in the U.S.
Minnesota Department of Public Safety has said it will have enhanced security in place at the Minnesota Capitol beyond Inauguration Day, though DPS Commissioner Jon Harrington said last week there are "few known active threats" to the Capitol at the time he was speaking.
In a statement to BMTN on Monday, a DPS spokesman said: "In addition to the fence around the Minnesota Capitol that has been in place since last summer, the State Patrol has increased its presence to respond to various threats and prevent unlawful entry into the building.
"We are aware of the national reports of potential insurrection and are tracking possible protest activity as we stand ready to guard the Capitol and protect state employees from harm. We will continue to enhance our response and change tactics as needed. We have been working in partnership with St. Paul Police, Ramsey County Sheriff and Minnesota Department of Natural Resources Conservation Officers."
A "Storm the Capitol" rally was held at the Minnesota Capitol on the same day as the insurrection in D.C., but it was a peaceful event, albeit there were several instances of threatening or violent rhetoric being used.
On Monday, Gov. Tim Walz revealed that his 14-year-old son had to be evacuated from the Governor's Mansion after a small number of protesters from the rally went to the mansion.
Later Monday afternoon, GOP Senate Majority Leader Paul Gazelka issued a statement in response to this and reports of threats towards State Capitols, saying: "Threats against elected officials, public or private property are not acceptable.
"Any effort to intimidate democracy is reprehensible, no matter who it comes from."
The DPS spokesman added: "Minnesota’s State Capitol has been and continues to be a safe place to conduct the important work of our state. While we support Minnesotans’ First Amendment rights to peacefully protest, anyone involved in illegal activity will be held accountable."