Reports: Child sexually assaulted at Powderhorn Park encampment

Authorities are now investigating.
Author:
Updated:
Original:

A child was sexually assaulted at Powderhorn Park, site of a controversial homeless encampment that sprung up in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic and the unrest following the death of George Floyd. 

Multiple reports say the victim was molested this past week at the park, which is located in south Minneapolis. 

People at the park brought the victim to Abbott Northwestern Hospital early Friday, prompting staff to notify the police, KSTP reports.  

The station says no arrest has been made yet, and that there's not much information about the suspect. 

FOX 9 notes that it's not clear if the victim was staying at the encampment.

A Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board (MPRB) spokesperson said the victim was released to social services after receiving medical treatment, per the Star Tribune

Anyone with information on the crime is asked to call 911. 

The assault came almost a week after a man in his 30s was shot to death a block away from the park, an incident that is still under investigation. 

Earlier this month, MPRB passed a resolution allowing people experiencing homelessness to stay overnight in Minneapolis parks. 

The move was aimed at helping address the Powderhorn encampment, which appeared after a number of homeless were evicted from a hotel that had served as a "sanctuary" from the streets during the recent unrest.

There has also been a rise in the number of homeless on Twin Cities streets as the outbreak of COVID-19 has seen shelters limit their space due to social distancing.

The Powderhorn encampment now has some 200 tents, while people seek space in other parks and areas throughout the city.

MPRB's resolution notes it'll work with state and local officials, as well as nonprofits, to come up with long-term housing solutions for those in the encampment and others experiencing homelessness.

Next Up

Related