Gov. Tim Walz is reportedly set to extend Minnesota's Stay at Home order to May 4 on Wednesday.
The news broke courtesy of MPR News early afternoon, which reported that Walz will continue with the order so Minnesota can focus on "response, recovery and resources."
This will include the extension of the shutdown of public accommodations that includes dine-in service at bars and restaurants, which Walz had already extended to May 1.
MPR News' Brian Bakst reports this in turn could push back the timeline for the peak of coronavirus in Minnesota to July, and his administration will used the extended shutdown to put plans in place for "starting to re-open society."
Blois Olson, a WCCO-AM political analyst who also has contacts within the Walz Administration, also confirmed the May 4 date, but said a decision hasn't been taken yet on whether school is done till the end of the school year.
At this stage, there are no details as to what will be kept and what will change about the order, with Walz expected to reveal more at his 2 p.m. press conference.
Minnesota has been under a Stay at Home order, closing down more non-essential businesses, since Mar. 27.
It was due to expire this Friday, and Walz has said he intends to announce some tweaks to the order based upon what has been working and what hasn't.
He has been facing pressure from some GOP politicians and workers to allow more businesses to open, even though state officials say the peak of COVID-19 is still several weeks away.
Walz has consistently stated he is eager to re-open the state but only will do so when he's sure it won't undermine the efforts already taken to limit the spread of the coronavirus and the impact on the state's health system.
He had said early May was when he would possibly extend the order to, as that's the point when the federal government is now stating social distancing should continue.