Another Twin Cities local restaurant operator has announced temporary closures as it navigates the economic pressures of the pandemic.
Ally Restaurants says its three restaurants: Holman's Table in the downtown St. Paul airport restaurant, and its two west metro locations of Rock Elm Tavern, are closed through March.
Owners Troy Reding and Brad Sorenson opened Rock Elm Tavern in Plymouth in 2015, and added its second location, in Maple Grove, in 2018.
Because the lease for its Plymouth location expires at the end of February, it's unclear whether or when the restaurant will reopen.
"Reding and Sorenson are actively renegotiating the terms, while also exploring alternative locations in the area," a press release reads.
The Maple Grove location is set to reopen after March 2021, perhaps with a "new name and feel, but with some familiar favorites," the press release says.
Its Holman's Table restaurant at the St. Paul airport, which opened in January 2018, is currently closed in line with coronavirus regulations and "will remain closed until restrictions are fully lifted."
Ally Restaurants also opened Sugar & Spice Sweetery earlier this year, but closed four months into the pandemic.
“We’ve worked extremely hard, tried so many new things, and will come out of this stronger than ever before,” Reding said in a press release. “The restaurant industry is forever changed and scarred by this. But we’re resilient people, and can find hope in what’s to come.”
Holman's Table and Rock Elm Tavern are still offering specials for New Year's Eve: Holman's has cocktail kits available to order online for pick-up, and the Plymouth Rock Elm location is offering smoked meats and drinks out of its parking lot Dec. 31 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
“We’d like to thank all of our guests who have supported us for the last five years. In the style of true Minnesotans, this is a long goodbye," Sorenson said in the press release. "We’ll linger, and pop back in from time to time. Most importantly, we’ll be back."
Restaurants are currently banned from operating dine-in service until Jan. 11, though can still offer outdoor dining. Even if these restrictions are lifted by Gov. Walz in January, it's possible that capacity restrictions will remain in place.