Rochester pub shut down for 72 hours over 'repeated' COVID-19 violations - Bring Me The News

Rochester pub shut down for 72 hours over 'repeated' COVID-19 violations

The bar will be allowed to reopen if it shows it's in compliance with the rules.
Author:
Publish date:
Dooley's Pub

A bar in Rochester has been shut down for at least 72 hours by Olmsted County Public Health over "repeated" violations of COVID-19 safety measures.

Olmsted County announced Friday that the action had been taken against Dooley's Pub at 255 1st. Ave. SW., which has had its food and beverage license suspended for three days.

It comes after a city council member posted a video taken at the pub showing maskless bar staff pouring drinks into customers' mouths.

The county says it has provided consultation to pub management "before, during, and after a COVID-19 outbreak at the establishment in July 2020," but said that "recent recurring imminent health and safety hazards have been documented and observed that directly place Dooley’s employees and patrons at increased risk to COVID-19 exposure."

"Repeated violations of Governor Tim Walz’s Executive Order 20-74 have been documented including lack of physical distancing by staff and customers, lack of mask wearing by staff and customers, and failing to restrict the number of building occupants to 50% or less of the normal occupancy requirement," it added.

Dooley's must be closed for a minimum of 72 hours, and will remain closed until it can "demonstrate compliance and enforcement of its COVID-19 Preparedness Plan."

Per MedCity Beat, Dooley's had only reopened on Sept. 8 after shutting down in early July following an outbreak of COVID-19 that saw more than two dozen people, including 6 staff, test positive for the virus.

BMTN has reached out to Dooley's for comment.

Follow Bring Me The News on YouTube

Hastings bar fined $7,000

It comes in the same week that action was taken against The Busted Nut Bar and Grill in Hastings, Minnesota, which was served with a $7,000 fine by the Minnesota Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA).

In an interview with WCCO, the bar's owner says she believes the fine was because one of its employees wasn't wearing their face shield correctly.

OSHA has not furnished further details as the case is still open, but the Department of Health has said the state will take sterner action if there is either a history of non-compliance or there are issues "that directly impact worker safety."

A copy of the citation served to The Busted Nut was provided to BMTN, and among the issues identified is that the restaurant "did not furnish to each employee conditions of employment and a place of employment free from recognized hazards which caused or were likely to cause death or serious injury to employee" though it does not clarify what those dangerous conditions are.

It also states that the bar "failed to enforce COVID-19-related precautions," which presumably references the employee not wearing a mask properly.

The bar was given till Sept. 27 to address the issues.

Weather update from Sven Sundgaard

Next Up

Related