Skip to main content

School winds down, summer meal programs for kids gear up

  • Author:
  • Updated:
    Original:

The end of the school year is right around the corner, and for tens of thousands of Minnesota children who rely on free or reduced-price lunches, it could mean the end of reliable meals for the next three months.

During the school year, more than 312,000 students in the state eat breakfast and/or lunch at their schools each day at a free or reduced price, according to Second Harvest Heartland.

The challenge during the summer is to make sure those kids still get regular meals. But the Minnesota Education Department says only about 15 percent of needy children participate in free summer meal programs.

School districts and other agencies around the state set up dozens of free meal sites to serve those kids in places such as libraries, community centers and some schools.

Those locations don't always get a lot of kids, so some school districts are turning to food trucks to reach more people.

The St. Paul School District bought a used food truck last year to increase participation in its Summer Food Service Program, according to the St. Paul Pioner Press. The truck will start rolling on June 15, and will stop at nine different locations in the city each day.

The spots will include local parks, basketball courts, or apartment buildings that typically house low-income families, KSTP reports.

Other school districts including Minneapolis and Hopkins also use food trucks for their summer meal programs, in addition to setting up sites around the community.

A bigger challenge is to provide meals for kids who live in rural areas, because they're less likely to be close to a summer meal program site.

Second Harvest Heartland, a large food bank serving Minnesota and western Wisconsin, partners with schools and communities to set up summer meal sites for kids. You can use this interactive map on the organization's website to find the meal site closest to you.

The demand is great, the Education Department says. Last summer, there were almost 700 summer food program sites set up in Minnesota, and they served 2.4 million meals.

The meals are free to all children under the age of 19. Agencies who participate get funding from the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

Next Up

Screen Shot 2022-08-08 at 7.50.05 PM

Missing: 17-year-old Waite Park boy last seen July 3

Police say there is no reason to believe he's in danger.

Melanie Valencia

Northfield bicyclist killed in crash identified as 14-year-old

She was riding her bike to soccer practice before a driver hit her last week.

Samantha Holte

Appeal to find 17-year-old Minnesota girl

She was last seen north of Fergus Falls.

Pixabay - water surface

Man's body found near empty fishing boat on St. Croix River

The boat, and an unoccupied truck found on the shore, belong to a 43-year-old White Bear Lake man.

SuspectsWantedMOAShooting

Police identify MOA shooting suspects, issue nationwide warrants

Three Twin Cities residents were charged Monday in connection with helping the suspects escape.

Screen Shot 2022-08-04 at 7.25.42 PM

Charges: Best Western employees helped MOA shooting suspects escape

Prosecutors allege two Best Western employees helped the suspects escape.

election, vote

What to watch for in 2022 Minnesota primary elections

Bring Me The News brings you a breakdown of what to watch for Tuesday.

Aaron Peterson

Charges: Felon accused of firing shots at police during Meeker Co. standoff

The 31-year-old surrendered after a 28-hour standoff in rural Meeker County.

flash flooding

Weekend rain totals pushed 6+ inches in Minnesota, Iowa; 10 in Illinois

Big-time rain totals across southern Minnesota, southeast South Dakota, northern Iowa and northern Illinois.

Airport traveler flying pixabay

Man who had meth, guns in checked luggage at MSP Airport gets 10 years

Kevin Alan Aguilar-Moreno, 21, attempted to board a Delta flight to Phoenix in October of last year.

Screen Shot 2022-08-08 at 7.13.33 AM

Family identifies man killed by police in Otsego

The 21-year-old was reportedly experiencing 'mental health challenges' and allegedly had a knife when deputies opened fire.

Related