Skip to main content

Six hospitalized with carbon monoxide poisoning in St. Paul

Children were among those requiring treatment.
carbon monoxide

Six people were hospitalized in St. Paul with possible carbon monoxide poisoning Sunday.

St. Paul Fire Department says it was called to a property on the 800 block of Edmund Avenue on a report of potential CO poisoning.

Six people, which included some children, were taken to a hospital for treatment.

Problems with the property's ventilation and furnace are believed to have been behind the emergency.

CO poisoning

Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odorless, colorless and tasteless gas that's formed by the incomplete combustion of fuels, which can build up indoors and there's no way to detect a problem until you become sick (unless you have a working CO detector), the Minnesota Department of Health's (MDH) website says.

When people are exposed to CO gas, the molecules displace the oxygen in their bodies, which leads to poisoning. It's estimated that about 400 people die from unintentional CO exposure in the U.S. every year, with about 14 people in Minnesota dying from it a year.

MDH says CO poisoning can be prevented by installing a CO alarm and maintaining fuel-burning appliances, such as clothes dryers, water heaters, furnaces/boilers, gas and wood fireplaces, gas stoves and ovens, motor vehicles, grills, generators, power tools, lawn equipment, wood stoves and tobacco smoke.

For more information, visit the MDH's website on carbon monoxide here

Next Up

Screen Shot 2023-01-27 at 7.45.44 PM

Protest for Tyre Nichols to be held outside MN Governor’s Mansion

Activists groups say they’ll call on Gov. Tim Walz and the Legislature to implement police reforms.

Pool

Minnesota pool contractor banned from industry, must pay $2 million-plus

Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison filed suit against Charles Workman and his company, MN Crete Pools, LLC, in August.

Minneapolis police

St. Paul man identified as victim of north Minneapolis homicide

The shooting occurred on the 2200 block of Emerson Avenue North on Wednesday.

ambulance

Two youths seriously injured after being struck by driver in Bloomington

Police say the boy is in a critical condition, while the girl has severe injuries.

Rosedale Center

Two men sentenced for carjacking in Rosedale Center parking lot

Leon Kismit Bell, 49, and Jack Mitchell Piche, 23, were sentenced in U.S. District Court on Jan. 20.

Screen Shot 2023-01-27 at 3.59.30 PM

Police identify White Bear Lake officer shot while serving warrant

The officer is a six-year veteran of the department.

abortion, planned parenthood

Minnesota Senate passes bill codifying abortion into state law

Having already passed in the House, it will now be sent to Gov. Tim Walz for signing into law.

Screen Shot 2023-01-27 at 7.45.44 PM

Tyre Nichols: Initial police version of events bear similarities to George Floyd killing

Memphis PD said Nichols complained of 'shortness of breath' following 'confrontations' with police, who in reality violently beat him.

George Floyd, protest

Twin Cities authorities preparing for community reaction to Tyre Nichols video

The ATF division in St. Paul sent out an alert out of "an abundance of caution."

Related

ambulance

8 people in Shakopee taken to hospital for CO poisoning

The family called 911 after three people were feeling sick.

carbon monoxide

Man, dog die in suspected carbon monoxide poisoning

The discovery was made in northeastern Minnesota.

Man dead, 8 taken to hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning

The man's wife and first responders were sickened, too.

Suspected CO poisoning kills woman, 3 officers hospitalized

The woman was found dead in the home on Friday evening.

Here are the warning signs for carbon monoxide poisoning

10 people in St. Paul were hospitalized with CO poisoning on New Year's Day.

Jenna Fish

Family's warning after teen's tragic death from CO poisoning at Thanksgiving

A 17-year-old girl from Delano died after Thanksgiving due to carbon monoxide poisoning.