The Minnesota State Patrol is investigating a fatal crash that happened Monday afternoon in Stearns County.
According to the crash report, 45-year-old Brad R. Grunig, of St. Cloud, was driving a 2007 Mercury MKZ eastbound on Hwy. 23 when he ran off the road near Becker Lake Circle, then struck a road sign and several trees.
Grunig died at the scene. He was not wearing a seatbelt, according to the report.
The crash happened at approximately 3:42 p.m.
No further information has been released.
Increase in traffic-related deaths on Minnesota roads
In a release issued Monday, the Minnesota Department of Safety (DPS) said there had been 308 people killed in traffic-related incidents on Minnesota roads so far in 2020, which is up from 277 at the same point last year.
Prior to the fatal crash in Stearns County on Monday afternoon, the DPS had tracked 71 deaths on Minnesota roads where a victim was not wearing a seatbelt.
Traffic-related fatalities on Minnesota roads in 2020:
- 192 passengers in a vehicle (191 passengers died at this time last year)
- 54 motorcyclists (40 at this time last year)
- 9 bicyclists (eight at this time last year)
- 92 people in speed-related crashes (60 at this time last year)
- 71 people not wearing a seatbelt (54 at this time last year)
- 88 people in alcohol-related crashes (89 at this time last year)
- 22 people in distracted-related crashes (30 at this time last year)