St. Paul candidate arrested after topless pic of wife appears on blog - Bring Me The News

St. Paul candidate arrested after topless pic of wife appears on blog

David Martinez has also been banned from Target Field and St. Paul libraries in recent weeks.
Author:
Publish date:
David Martinez

A St. Paul candidate who in the past week has been banned from city libraries and Target Field has been arrested under Minnesota's revenge porn laws.

A blog post from David Martinez, who is standing in Ward 4 in this year's St. Paul City Council elections, contained a topless photo apparently of his ex-wife.

On Monday morning, Martinez was arrested by St. Paul police officers at East Seventh Place, on suspicion of felony non-consensual dissemination of private sexual images, a law combating revenge porn that was introduced in 2016.

The picture was accompanied by a post, which has since been removed along with the picture, in which Martinez said he'd been recently served with a restraining order by his wife.

He accused her of "fabricating" the reasons for the order, and said that it's another way "the 'system' is structured in a way where only one side wins."

"So, I had to call for a police escort, to my own home, so I could pick up my personal belongings," Martinez wrote before it had been removed. BMTN obtained screenshots of the post before it was removed.

David Martinez Blog post

St. Paul police told BMTN that they'd received a report Martinez had posted the topless photograph of his wife on Saturday, and that his site had been shut down by Wordpress at the request of a police investigator on Sunday.

"Investigators are working to determine whether there are other images on the internet and will be working to have them removed if they are found," police spokesman Steve Linders said.

On Sunday, St. Paul Mayor Melvin Carter urged Martinez to drop out of the Ward 4 race, telling the Pioneer Press his behavior is "disturbing and has no place in our city."

Get the latest BMTN stories by following us on Flipboard.

Martinez made headlines twice last week, when earlier posts on his blog revealed he had been banned from St. Paul Public Libraries and Target Field.

He reportedly swore and shouted at library staff, which he says was because he was sticking up for a black teenager security had asked to leave the premises.

And at a Twins game, Martinez got into a tussle with security staff that asked him to leave because he was vaulting a barrier between the seats and the concessions stands. This incident was captured on video and shared by Martinez on YouTube.

Note: Bring Me The News does not typically name suspects until they have been charged, but makes an exception in certain circumstances, such as when it involves a public figure.

Next Up

Related