St. Paul house explodes, neighbors help rescue man inside

The fire gutted the house on Saturday afternoon and is now being investigated.
Author:
Publish date:
Updated on

Neighbors are being credited with pulling a man to safety from an intense house fire on the 600 block of Hall Ave. in St. Paul.

It all started with an explosion on Saturday afternoon, according to this tweet from the St. Paul Fire Department: 

Though it was initially reported that neighbors found the home's occupant outside, it seems they played a much more vital role in his rescue and likely saved his life.

A local resident named Paul Warner tells KARE 11 that he and another neighbor rushed to the scene following the explosion, ultimately pulling out the man inside through a window and getting him to a safe distance.

The station says the fire department hopes to have a "recognition ceremony" to honor the pair for saving the man, who is in his 70s. 

He was taken to a hospital following the rescue; WCCO reports that he suffered serious burns.

The station also says he lived alone at the residence with a cat, which is so far "unaccounted for."

The fire is now under investigation. 

Next Up

Related