Skip to main content

St. Paul woman charged in fatal stabbing of her longtime boyfriend

  • Author:
  • Updated:

A woman who had a history of abusing her boyfriend fatally stabbed him in the chest during an alcohol-infused fight inside their St. Paul apartment, according to charges filed Monday.

Sherry Henderson, 47, was charged Monday with second-degree murder in the death of her longtime boyfriend, 58-year-old Addison Hillard. Police had initially described is as "suspicious" when announcing an investigation Saturday.

According to the criminal complaint:

Henderson, who is known to become violent when she drinks, Hillard and a female friend of hers were drinking in the Birmingham Street apartment Friday night when Henderson passed out.

She awoke to Hillard and her friend talking and became upset, punching and pushing Hillard. That's when her friend left the apartment.

The next day, Henderson called her cousin and said she did something "she would never do," adding she and Hillard had "gotten into it and she thought he was getting ready to come at her."

She told police Hillard had called her a name, but doesn't remember much after that. She remembers noticing blood on her hands and Hillard leaning up against the entertainment center with a hole in his chest.

Henderson told police, "I guess I [stabbed him] because I was the only on there," adding she didn't remember stabbing him and did not do it with the intent to kill him.

Within 20 minutes she realized he was dead, but didn't call police because "she wasn't ready to let him go."

Henderson cleaned up the area, including washing the knife and throwing trash out in the dumpster, then grabbed a pillow and blanket and laid next to Hillard's body.

Police found Hillard's body in the blankets.

Hillard's daughter told police he wanted to leave Henderson because she was abusive. A few months ago, Henderson used a knife and cut him in the torso and arm, but Hillard's daughter told investigators he "refused to call police because he was a man and could take care of himself," adding he didn't want to put a woman in jail.

Henderson has a history of domestic assault, including against Hillard. She has also been convicted of domestic assault, malicious punishment of a child, child neglect, disorderly conduct and terroristic threats.

If convicted, Henderson could face up to 40 years in prison.

Next Up

minnesota river

Fishermen find body floating in Minnesota River in Shakopee

The body was found upstream from Minnesota River Heritage Park.

Screen Shot 2022-06-25 at 11.01.17 AM

Woman breaks free after being kidnapped and taken to Brooklyn Park

The woman was taken by force as she arrived at her work in Plymouth.


How the fastest animal on the planet returned to MN after local extinction

The fastest animal on Earth had once vanished from Minnesota and Wisconsin.


St. Paul's new 'skate trail' brings non-traditional park to life

Gateway Park is the first of four parks to open in the Highland Bridge redevelopment.


80 mph winds, large hail possible with severe storms in MN

A severe thunderstorm watch is in effect for much of the state until 3 a.m. Saturday.


30 people evacuated as flooding hammers small town

It's assumed that at least eight inches of rain fell in Randall, with more heavy rain expected Friday night into Saturday morning.

Intersection in Rochester.

Boy dies in motorcycle crash in Rochester

Police are investigating as of Friday afternoon.

Tab2FileL (13)

Numerous severe storms likely in Minnesota Friday night

Watch the video for the full details with meteorologist Sven Sundgaard.

court room

Teen pleads guilty in shooting death of 15-year-old girl in Columbia Heights

Damico Jamal-Tokyo High will receive a sentence in juvenile court, along with an adult prison sentence.


Screen Shot 2021-09-11 at 7.42.42 AM

Charges: Woman fatally stabbed boyfriend, child's father

The man died from a single stab wound that struck an artery.

wallace family St. Paul

Ex-boyfriend charged with murder of woman, her 2 kids in St. Paul

The mom and her two kids were killed Jan. 30 in their St. Paul home.