Skip to main content

Poll: Minnesotans back Walz's handling of coronavirus, Stay at Home measures

Minnesotans approve of limiting retail and restaurants to curbside pick-up.
  • Author:
  • Updated:
    Original:

A new poll of Minnesotans finds that a large majority approves of Gov. Tim Walz's handling of the coronavirus crisis, and also oppose a quick reopening of the state's economy.

The SurveyUSA online poll of 500 Minnesotans was commissioned by KSTP and has a margin of error of 5.1 percent, but still found broad support for the governor's efforts to limit the spread of COVID-19.

Respondents were asked if they "approve or disapprove of the way Gov. Tim Walz is handling the coronavirus," with 37 percent saying they "strongly approve" and 45 percent saying they "somewhat approve" for a total of 82 percent.

Nine percent say they "somewhat disapprove" and five percent said they "strongly disapprove." It even found support among Republicans, with 22 percent of GOP-supporting respondents saying they "strongly approve" and 48 percent saying they "somewhat approve."

This is in contrast to the same question asked of President Donald Trump's handling of the pandemic, for which 34 percent approved (10 percent "strongly," 24 percent "somewhat," nd 59 percent disapprove (17 percent "somewhat," 42 percent "strongly.")

The Minnesota Legislature also has broad approval for its handling of the pandemic, with 68 percent approving and 16 percent disapproving.

Sign up for our BREAKING NEWS newsletters 

Respondents back Stay at Home measures

Despite vocal demonstrations in the form of protests by modest crowds outside the governor's mansion and State Capitol, the majority of Minnesotans polled don't want to see the economy reopen too quickly.

Seventy-six percent agreed with his decision to extend the Stay at Home order to May 18, while 82 percent agree with the order to allow retail businesses to provide curbside pick-up or delivery only.

Eighty percent agreed with the decision to limit restaurants and bars to takeout, curbside pick-up and delivery for now, while 66 percent agreed with the suspension of elective medical procedures – albeit that is set to be lifted by Gov. Walz on Tuesday.

What's more, only 58 percent of those who responded said they have received a stimulus payment from the federal government, with 39 percent saying they have not.

The findings are similar to a national poll of Americans by the Washington Post and University of Maryland, which found 82 percent oppose reopening movie theaters, 78 percent gyms, 74 percent dine-in restaurants, and 69 percent hair salons, suggesting that even when restrictions are lifted, we are a long way from "business as usual."

Next Up

Kirill Kaprizov

MacKinnon's controversial goal helps Avalanche top Wild

Kirill Kaprizov's two goals were spoiled by a questionable call.

powell itasca jail jan 2022 resize

Attorney accused of sex assault misses hearing, DMs judge

He was arrested the next day after a warrant was issued,

lorie shaull vulcan snow park st paul winter carnival 2018

Winter Carnival: Get vaccinated or test negative before coming

Organizers are also reminding people to be mindful of the city's emergency regulations.

hospital, emergency room

Driver, 15 years old, hurt when car collides with SUV

The road was wet at the time, the State Patrol said.

Tyler Wahl

Minnesotans have the Badgers back in the national spotlight

Three of Wisconsin's four leading scorers are from Minnesota.

Francisco Liriano

Liriano retires: Remembering his meteoric rise as a rookie

There was no one better than Liriano from mid-May to late-July in 2006.

Related

Governor Tim Walz

Gov. Tim Walz's approval rating has grown during coronavirus crisis

The latest results from the Star Tribune/KARE 11/MPR News poll have been released.

coronavirus, masks, covid-19

With end of Stay at Home, Walz puts responsibility on Minnesotans

He is imploring Minnesotans to stick with social distancing guidelines.

coronavirus, covid-19

What must retailers do to reopen under new Stay at Home guidelines?

New rules allowing curbside pickup were announced on Thursday.

Governor Tim Walz

Coronavirus: Gov. Tim Walz to hold Wednesday press conference

He's expected to announce guidance for the reopening of Minnesota restaurants and bars.

Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 1.04.04 PM

Gov. Tim Walz to make Stay at Home announcement Thursday

The governor is expected to extend the order, but allow more businesses to re-open.