Skip to main content

Storm-battered Brainerd Lakes area will get state disaster aid

  • Author:
  • Updated:
    Original:

Three counties in the Brainerd area will get disaster relief assistance from the state to help with storm damage suffered last month.

Cass, Crow Wing and Todd counties were hit with strong winds – some hitting 100 mph – and severe storms July 12-13, toppling trees and knocking out power for thousands of residents.

The end result? About $1.3 million in eligible damage, tallied by the state's Department of Public Safety Homeland Security Emergency Management, according to a news release announcing the state aid.

On Wednesday, Gov. Mark Dayton approved those counties' request for financial help from the state disaster assistance program, the news release says.

The state will give up to 75 percent of the total eligible damage costs in each county; then the county is responsible for the remaining 25 percent.

According to the news release, most of the costs from last month's storms went to "emergency protective measures" and "debris removal."

It's the second round of disaster assistance approved this month.

A couple weeks ago, Dayton signed off on aid for Martin County, which suffered nearly $45,000 in damages from a June 22 storm, according to a news release. Most of that came from damage to publicly owned utilities and debris removal.

In 2014, Dayton signed legislation that established the first state disaster contingency account, which provides assistance to counties that don’t meet the federal threshold during a major disaster declaration.

Prior to this month, three counties – Morrison, Dakota and Washington – had qualified to receive assistance from the state since the program's inception.

Next Up

Jacob Frey and Cedric Alexander

Cedric Alexander walks back comments made on Twitter; Frey reacts

Alexander also blocked multiple accounts, some being media and journalists.

Keith Ellison

Minnesota bans fraudulent company targeting student loans holders

The settlement will return the full amount collected from Minnesota customers.

Screen Shot 2022-10-07 at 11.13.49 AM

Celebrated barefoot water skier died in accident on Brooklyn Center lake

Paul Oman died in a barefoot water skiing accident on Sept. 12.

Screen Shot 2022-10-07 at 10.49.51 AM

Sisters now living in MN win $80K over treatment at Texas border facility

Kerlin Sanchez Villalobos and her sister were awarded a settlement of $80,000.

Minneapolis Fire Department

Series of garage fires cause damage in south Minneapolis

Two of the fires occurred on the 4500 block of Snelling Avenue.

Cedric Alexander

Minneapolis’ public safety chief spends evening mocking, blocking on Twitter

The community safety commissioner responded to one user's question about downtown policing by calling them two-faced.

Screen Shot 2022-10-06 at 4.04.40 PM

Ramen bar announced for upcoming Eat Street Crossing food hall

The restaurant roster is filling up at Eat Street Crossing.

police lights squad car dark - Unsplash

Man dies after being shot during argument in Minneapolis

It's the 70th homicide in Minneapolis this year.

NearNorthEncampment

Minneapolis police, city employees clear out Near North encampment

This comes as colder weather moves through the state.

Screen Shot 2022-10-06 at 4.32.46 PM

New T.J. Maxx to open in the Twin Cities this month

Opening day will kick off with extended hours.

Related