The driver of a tanker truck who sparked a major panic on I-35W on Sunday has been released from custody pending further investigation.
Bogdan Vechirko, 35, of Otsego, was initially arrested on probable cause assault after his tanker quickly approached a large crowd of protesters blocking I-35W in Minneapolis, after the freeway had been closed.
On Tuesday, the Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman said his case has been "deferred pending further investigation," and as a result he has been released from jail.
State officials have said that Vechirko was not believed to have intentionally driven towards the protesters, instead having found himself caught on the closing freeway while the crowd gathered on the road.
"Investigators are in the process of gathering additional information and answers to aid in the charging decision," the attorney's office said.
New video shows how he continued on I-35W while other vehicles were waiting to exit, with the crowd visible up ahead.