Target now closing more stores across Minnesota until further notice

It comes with no end in sight for the violence in Minneapolis.
Author:
Updated:
Original:
Target

UPDATE: Target earlier announced 73 stores would be closed, but has since reduced that number with many of those originally said to be closing actually staying open. Apologies for the confusion.

Target has announced it's closing more stores in Minnesota until further notice amid the ongoing unrest in the Twin Cities.

The Minneapolis retailer had already announced 30 stores would stay closed through Saturday, but on Friday evening extended that to include more – including a number outside of the metro area.

"We are heartbroken by the death of George Floyd and the pain it is causing our community," Target said. "At this time, we have made the decision to close a number of our stores until further notice. Our focus will remain on our team members’ safety and helping our community heal."

Target also pledged on Friday to restore and reopen the heavily damage store at East Lake Street, which was damaged in the Thursday night unrest.

"Target will prioritize the rebuilding and reopening of its store located at 2500 E. Lake Street, preserving approximately 200 local jobs," it said.

"The timing of construction will be determined in the coming weeks, with the goal of opening in late 2020. Target will also reopen other damaged stores in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area in the coming weeks.

The company said that those impacted by store closures will be paid for up to 14 days of their scheduled hours, including the $2 COVID-19 bonus, and will also be able to work at other locations.

Sign up for our BREAKING NEWS newsletters

Next Up

Related