Three more bars subject of lawsuits for violating COVID-19 rules

They are the latest to be sued by the Attorney General's Office.
Author:
Publish date:

Bar beer

Three more restaurants in Minnesota are now the subject of lawsuits from the state Attorney General for reopening despite the ban on dine-in service due to COVID-19.

AG Keith Ellison's office has announced it has filed lawsuits against the following venues:

  • Pour House in Clarks Grove
  • The Interchange in Albert Lea
  • St. Patrick's Tavern in New Prague

The Pour House and The Interchange have already been subject of cease-and-desist orders from the Minnesota Department of Health, but it's the first time St. Patrick's Tavern has been named as being subject to enforcement action.

So far, Ellison's office has filed lawsuits against 10 bars and restaurants that have reopened in recent weeks. Several others are subject of action from MDH or the Minnesota Department of Public Safety, including liquor license suspensions.

Ellison's office said St. Patrick's Tavern had 150-200 vehicles in its parking lot on Friday, and witnesses noticed the bar "standing room only, with members of the public packed inside so tightly that it was difficult to move around inside the establishment."

"The owner openly told law enforcement that she was aware she was in violation of the governor’s executive orders, and that St. Patrick’s Tavern would continue its unlawful behavior," a press release from the AG said.

The state has received more than a dozen complaints about the Pour House, and social media posts have shown "patrons sitting shoulder-to-shoulder at the bar, and no face coverings worn by any employee or customer."

The Interchange was among those that announced it would open for "IN-DOOR DINING ... n defiance of the governor’s order" and on Dec. 17 it held an "indoor concert."

"By December 18, the Minnesota Department of Health had served a cease-and-desist order on the Interchange, but a representative of the restaurant vowed that it would continue to allow on-site dining," the AG's office said. "The restaurant was still open on December 19."

The AG's office is seeking punishments including fines of $25,000 for each violation of the governor's executive order prohibiting dine-in service. The ban expired on Dec. 18, but was extended to Jan. 11.

Next Up

ambulance

State Patrol investigating fatal crash near Duluth

The crash was reported around 6:15 a.m. Wednesday.

eden prairie police squad car

Carjacking reported outside shopping center in Eden Prairie

One of the suspects reportedly displayed a weapon.

court gavel

8 people charged in Medicaid fraud scheme totaling $860K

Collectively, they're charged with 46 counts of felony theft.

vaping

Minnesota gets mixed grades on its tobacco report card

In Minnesota, the economic cost due to smoking is $2.519 million with 5,910 deaths per year attributed to smoking.

Hardy Wills-Traxler

Charges: Man stabbed his father, set his home on fire

The 25-year-old has been charged with second-degree murder and first-degree arson.

Impound lot

Crowded impound lot raises COVID concerns after Minneapolis snow emergency

A vehicle owner complains about the tightly-packed impound lot following the weekend's snow.

covid-19, coronavirus

Here is Minnesota's COVID-19 update for Wednesday, Jan. 27

The latest update from the state health department.

charley's

Charges: Bar owner, employee served underage drinkers during shutdown

The bar hosted 20-30 people on Dec. 4, 2020, charges say.

police lights

Driver wearing bulletproof vest strikes pedestrian in Rochester

The 21-year-old claimed the vest keeps him warm, according to police.

Related

bar

3 more bars facing enforcement action for reopening in violation of COVID rules

The bars face having their liquor licenses suspended, as well as risking court action.

Bar beer

14 bars warned for COVID-19 violations are now in compliance

The DPS returned for follow-up checks at the affected bars.

Bar beer

Republicans accuse state of 'harassing' bars and restaurants over COVID-19

A group of more than 50 Republican lawmakers have sent a letter to Gov. Tim Walz.

bar

14 MN bars, restaurants warned for alleged breaches of COVID-19 rules

Employees not wearing face masks was the main violation.

Screen Shot 2021-01-09 at 8.21.11 AM

2nd MN restaurant found in contempt of court for violating Walz order

The Interchange in Albert Lea was found in contempt of court by Freeborn County District Court.