University of Minnesota fraternity member died of 'probable asphyxia'

The 20-year-old student was found dead at a fraternity house in September.
Author:
Publish date:

The University of Minnesota student found dead at a fraternity house in September died from asphyxia and alcohol intoxication, as he passed out after drinking and choked on his own vomit.

Dylan Fulton, 20, of Miller, South Dakota, was found unresponsive early in the morning of Sep. 12 at the Alpha Gamma Rho house on the 2000 block of Carter Avenue. Fulton was a member of the fraternity and living at the house. 

The Ramsey County Medical Examiner's Office said that Fulton died from "probable asphyxia," with "positional asphyxia with aspiration" also a major cause.

The autopsy showed that Fulton's stomach contents were found in his airway and that he breathed some of it into his lungs. 

Alcohol intoxication was also listed as a "significant cause" in his death.

St. Paul Police spokesman Steve Linders said at the time that alcohol may have been a factor in the death, but hazing and initiation was never suspected, nor was other type of foul play.

Nonetheless, the Alpha Gamma Rho chapter at the U of M has been suspended since last month, with several conditions imposed on it by its national office, including no alcohol being allowed on its property.

A fraternity website states that Fulton was pursuing a degree in animal science, with an emphasis on beef production.

The Pioneer Press reports his parents released a statement on Thursday warning other parents about what happened to their son, saying: "Please talk to your kids and keep talking, because it can happen to ANYONE!!"

Next Up

Related