Minnesota coronavirus cases now at 35, up from 21 on Saturday

The announcement comes as the governor orders schools closed.
Author:
Updated:
Original:
laboratory-2815641_1280

Minnesota's coronavirus infections are on the rise, with over a dozen additional cases announced Sunday.

During his morning press conference, Gov. Tim Walz said that officials would announce a total of 35 COVID-19 cases in the state. This comes just a day after officials announced a total of 21 confirmed infections in Minnesota. 

"There are not major clusters anywhere. The demographics are spread out," said Minnesota Department of Health Commissioner Jan Malcolm. "We've had very few illnesses that were severe enough for hospitalization. Sadly, one person is critically ill and I believe remains in the hospital."

Malcolm acknowledged that, because of limitations on testing capacity, "there's much we don't know" about community transmission in Minnesota.

"It's a matter of when, not if we have community spread," she said.

Also announced at the press conference was the governor's decision to order Minnesota K-12 schools closed, starting Wednesday and going through March 27. 

According to the latest numbers from the MN Department of Health (MDH), approximately 1,422 patients have been tested in Minnesota. 

It's not clear which organizations and hospitals beyond the MDH are conducting the testing. 

Cases have now been found in the following counties, MDH says: Anoka, Carver, Dakota, Hennepin, Olmsted, Ramsey, Renville, Stearns, Waseca, Washington, Wright.

casemap (3)

This marks the first coronavirus cases for Waseca and Washington counties.

There are now over 2,900 cases of COVID-19 in the U.S., with 60 deaths reported so far.

Next Up

Related