A care home in Wayzata where more than 40 residents were evacuated due to an outbreak of COVID-19 will not reopen.
Transforming Age, owner of Meridian Manor at 163 Wayzata Blvd., announced late Monday that it has "made the difficult decision to not reopen the assisted living facility as a result of multiple negative impacts of COVID-19."
The organization moved 47 residents out of the facility earlier this month after a coronavirus outbreak that affected both residents and staff, and meant there were not enough workers to continue providing care.
As of Monday, 21 out of 59 residents of Meridian Manor have tested positive for the coronavirus, two of them dying, while 13 employees have also tested positive and are quarantining at home.
"Our mission is first and foremost to serve seniors, and the multiple impacts of COVID-19 has made it impossible for our team at Meridian Manor to continue our mission at that community,” said Torsten Hirche, Transforming Age CEO. “We are doing our utmost to help our residents, families and team members make the transition."
Residents have been moved to other facilities, hospitals, or moved in with family, with Transforming Age covering their moving costs and providing some rent refunds.
It comes amid a wider crisis in the long-term care sector in Minnesota, with the Minnesota Department of Health's list of care facilities with outbreaks now numbering 110.
And long-term care and assisted-living residents account for more than three-quarters of Minnesota's 286 coronavirus deaths so far.
Other care homes in crisis include the 174-bed Catholic Eldercare in northeast Minneapolis, which has confirmed 13 deaths among its residents from COVID-19, and in a letter to families says it is now using its 3rd floor to isolate any patients diagnosed positive.
And the Star Tribune reported last week that at least 32 residents have died at St. Therese of New Hope, a 258-bed nursing home, with a further 18 dying at North Ridge Health and Rehabilitation, also in New Hope.