Minneapolis rejects hiring Sally Yates for probe - Bring Me The News

Sally Yates won't be hired to investigate Mpls ketamine scandal

The Minneapolis City Council rejected the plan.
Author:
Publish date:

A proposed plan to have Sally Yates investigate the ketamine scandal involving Minneapolis police has been shot down by the City Council. 

On Friday, the council voted 10-3 against hiring King & Spalding, Yates' Atlanta-based law firm, the Star Tribune reports.

The reason? Council members balked at the firm's asking price of $195,000. 

Those voting against the plan said the city couldn't afford to pay such a fee, "especially since it would come out of an already-strained police budget," the Associated Press noted.

The Tribune called the rejection a "rebuke of Mayor Jacob Frey," who announced the plan to hire Yates back in June

Yates, who came into fame in 2017 when President Donald Trump fired her from the post of acting U.S. attorney general, was to lead an independent review of accusations that some Minneapolis cops directed paramedics to sedate suspected criminals with ketamine.

The practice was revealed in June when the Star Tribune obtained a leaked police draft report that showed that, in dozens of cases, officers encouraged Hennepin Healthcare medical responders to subdue suspects with the drug – even when it wasn't clear a crime had been committed.

The report found that on occasion, the drug caused heart or breathing failure, requiring at least one individual to be revived. 

For his part, Police Chief Medaria Arradondo responded to the revelations after they surfaced, saying he "took immediate steps" to stop the practice as soon as it was brought to his attention. 

However, he also said there were "significant faults" with the Tribune report, and accused whomever leaked it of "recklessly disseminating it to our communities."

Next Up

Related