The field for the 2018 Minnesota high school baseball state tournament is nearly set after a busy day of section finals on Thursday.
Fourteen teams qualified for State with section championships Tuesday-Wednesday and another 17 advanced to the the tourney with clinching victories on Thursday.
Today's Top Stories
Here's what happen in a class-by-class breakdown of Thursday's action.
- Heritage Christian came out of the loser's bracket and beat Randolph twice to advance from Section 4.
- Sleepy Eye took down top seed BOLD (for a second time) 3-2 to take the Section 2 crown.
- Sacred Heart enters State on a seven-game win streak after beating Fosston 3-1 in Section 8.
- Hinckley-Finlayson is in after rolling over Pine River-Backus 9-3 to win Section 5. The Jaguars have won 13 straight while outscoring their opponents 105-21.
- The Wabasso Rabbits swept through Section 3 to get to state, wrapping things up with a 5-0 win over Kerkhoven-Murdock-Sunberg.
- South Ridge is headed to State for the first time in school history after defeating Carlton 3-1.
- Dilworth-Glyndon-Felton improved to 22-2 on the season a 6-5 win over Wadena-Deer Creek to advance from Section 8.
- Maple Lake crushed Glencoe-Silver Laker 13-3 for its 14th straight win. They enter the state tournament with a record of 22-2.
- Section 6 goes to St. Cloud Cathedral after they beat Pierz 4-3 on a game-winning double in the bottom of the seventh inning.
- Luverne forced a second game Thursday but Paynesville won 7-4 to take Section 3.
- Duluth Marshall had to beat Esko twice to win Section 7 and they did, winning the second game 23-1.
- Jordan beat Belle Plaine 8-2 in a Hwy. 169 rivalry final in Section 2.
- Grand Rapids, which started the season 1-9 and entered the section tourney as the six seed, crushed Chisago Lakes 11-5 to win the Section 7 title.
- Minnehaha Academy went 5-0 in Section 4 while outscoring opponents 64-4, with the finishing touches being a 9-1 win over New Life Academy.
- New Ulm avenged a 10-run loss to Mankato West in the regular season with a 11-inning, 2-1 win to advance to state out of Section 2.
- Make it five straight Section 5 titles for Mahtomedi as they upset top seed Fridley 1-0 in the section final.
- Brainerd needed to beat St. Michael-Albertville twice. They won the first game but then lost 10-0 in five innings, giving the Knights a Section 8 title.
Note: New York Mills and Parkers Prairie play in the Section 6 final Friday at 5 p.m. It's the only game in the state Friday. The official state tournament brackets will be released Saturday.