Dalvin Cook says he wasn't going to hold out over new contract

The Vikings running back is "full go" for training camp without a new deal.
Author:
Publish date:
Dalvin Cook

Minnesota Vikings running back Dalvin Cook says he never thought about holding out over recent contract negotiations and will be "full go" as the team begins practicing this week in preparation for the 2020 season.

Cook's contract became one of the focal points of the Vikings offseason after a report by ESPN's Adam Schefter said Cook wouldn't participate in team activities without a new deal, but Cook reported for training camp in July and told reporters on Friday that a holdout wasn't in the plans.

"This is where I want to be at," Cook said. "I was going to be here regardless of whatever speculation that was coming, I was going to be here ready to work and I’ve been grinding all offseason getting ready to play.”

Cook revealed that he had been working hard on all facets of the game and continuing to be "today's running back" which is asked to do a little bit of everything. 

Cook's contract status continues to be an underlying question mark as the Vikings enter the season, but Cook is focused on 2020 and hasn't thought of the possibility of a deal not getting done or having the franchise tag placed on him heading into next offseason.

“I’m going to go out there and play football," Cook said. "Whatever comes from it. I’m going to live with the results because I always feel I put myself in a position to succeed. Whatever results come from [playing], I’m not going to think about it.”

Despite all of the off-field questions, Cook is looking to build off a career year in 2019 where he ran for 1,135 yards and 13 touchdowns and added 519 yards receiving. But he also added the ultimate goal is to help the Vikings win the elusive Super Bowl.

"I want to win a championship," Cook said. "I want to be the first to bring one here. That's exactly what I'm thinking about - holding that trophy up and doing it with this special group."

Next Up

Related