A 6-foot-7 tight end from Columbia Heights has committed to play football for the Gophers.
Spencer Alvarez announced his decision Thursday on social media.
“Wasn’t a hard choice because of how the coaching staff has made me feel at home in their program and trusting in me enough to offer me a scholarship while rehabbing a torn ACL,” Alvarez wrote on Twitter. “So, I would like to announce my commitment to the University of Minnesota.”
According to 247Sports, Alvarez is a two-star recruit and the only other college to offer him a scholarship through his junior year was Division II Minnesota State-Mankato.
The 245-pound tight end, who also plays defense at Columbia Heights High School, is the sixth commitment to the U of M's Class of 2022, and the third from Minnesota.
- Trey Bixby - 4-star DB from Lakewood, Ohio
- Jacob Knuth - 3-star QB from Harrisburg, South Dakota
- Coleman Bryson - 3-star S from Gap, Georgia
- Kristen Hoskins - 3-star WR from Alexandria, Minnesota
- Tony Nelson - 3-star OL from Tracy, Minnesota
- Spencer Alvarez - 2-star TE from Columbia Heights, Minnesota