Eleven new student-athletes signed to play football for the Gophers on Wednesday, officially putting a bow on the 2019 recruiting class.
Of the 11 to sign, 10 signed Acceptance of Admission letters while one inked a National Letter of Intent. That one is Gervarrius Owens, an All-American safety who recently completely his redshirt freshman season at Northeastern Oklahoma A&M College.
The first team All-American is eligible to play next season and, according to 247 Sports Gophers beat writer Kyle Goblirsch, he'll have a great chance to compete for a starting job.
Owens picked the Gophers over offers from Texas Tech and Southern Miss. He played the 2017 season at Kansas State after committing out of high school as a 6-foot-1, 190-pound safety in Moore, Oklahoma.
The other 10 players to sign:
- Jimmy Buck, wide receiver (Orono, Minnesota)
- Caden Fey, defensive back (Eden Prairie, Minnesota)
- Tom Foley, punter (Peoria, Illinois)
- Matt Guggemos, defensive back (Eden Prairie, Minnesota)
- Nick Kallerup, tight end (Wayzata, Minnesota)
- Nick McCabe, athlete (Caledonia, Minnesota)
- Ben McNaboe, linebacker (Rogers, Minnesota)
- Cody Smith, offensive line (Eagan, Minnesota)
- Austin Winfield, defensive back (The Woodlands, Texas)
- Larry Wright, wide receiver (Apple Valley, Minnesota)
Note: Winfield is the son of former Vikings defensive back Antoine Winfield, and younger brother of Gophers defensive back Antoine Winfield, Jr.