The two University of Minnesota wrestlers arrested on probable cause criminal sexual conduct will not be charged at this time.
The two students, aged 19 and 21, had been arrested in different locations on Saturday evening after a complaint that they had sexually penetrated a victim with an object, per a police report.
The Hennepin County Attorney's Office said on Tuesday it has reviewed the allegations against the wrestlers and "have determined no charges can be brought at this time."
"However, the investigation remains active and prosecutors will continue to work closely with Minneapolis Police Department investigators and review all evidence that comes in over the next 90 days," a Hennepin County Attorney's Office spokesman said.
"The 36 hours that [the wrestlers] could be held without charges was due to expire at noon and they have been released."
Both have been suspended by the University of Minnesota after the allegations were made, and could still face punishment from Gophers Athletics, with the university's code of conduct carrying a lower burden of proof than the criminal justice system.
Numerous media outlets have named the two wrestlers, but BMTN will continue to avoid identifying them per standard protocol until formal action has been taken either through the legal system or by the University of Minnesota.