Twins' Miguel Sano cleared after being accused of kidnapping, assault

Sano is expected to join the Twins at Target Field on July 1.
Author:
Publish date:
Miguel Sano

Miguel Sano has been cleared in the Dominican Republic after he was accused of being involved in the kidnapping and assault of a man. 

Twins President of Baseball Operations Derek Falvey confirmed Thursday that Sano was cleared of charges, with Sano previously telling the Twins and a newspaper in his home country that the lawyer he accused him of the crimes was blackmailing him in an attempt to get 10 million pesos, which is about $170,000 in the U.S. 

"We took what Miguel said at his word and then wanted to wait and see what else transpired and ultimately today it matched what he had been telling us,” Falvey said.

The Twins' initial reaction to reports about Sano was taht they were aware and "trying to gather information." 

According to El Nuevo Diario, Sano is quoted by the media outlet as saying the accusations are "false" and that he "did not kidnap or beat up" anyone.

The report adds that Sano said he's planning to sue his accusers "for damages to my image." 

Sano is expected to be with the Twins when they report to Target Field on July 1 for the resumption of training camp, with the 60-game regular season set to begin July 23 or 24. 

Sign up for our BREAKING NEWS newsletters

Next Up

Screen Shot 2021-01-18 at 12.27.04 PM

Man's vehicles crushed by hit-and-run driver weren't fully insured

The goal is to raise $25,000 to help the south Minneapolis resident.

Joe Biden

Key points from Joe Biden's first speech as POTUS

The 46th president called for unity at a time America is facing huge challenges.

coronavirus, covid-19

Here is Minnesota's COVID-19 update for Wednesday, January 20

The 111 ICU patients is the fewest in Minnesota since there were 109 COVID patients in intensive care on Oct. 1.

Klobuchar

Here's what Amy Klobuchar said at Joe Biden's inauguration

The Minnesota senator was one of the leader organizers of the inauguration.

covid-19, vaccine

All of this week's COVID vaccine pilot program appointments are filled

Nearly 6,000 Minnesotans who are 65 and older registered for appointments between noon Tuesday and Wednesday morning.

Lane kueng thao chauvin

Osterholm affidavit ahead of George Floyd trial warns of COVID worsening in March

Prosecutors want to delay the Chauvin trial due to a public health threat.

WCCO-AM's Sheletta Brundidge talks with Lil Nas X

830-WCCO host calls for Dave Lee's replacement to be person of color

WCCO-AM has not had a person of color as a weekday daytime host in its history.

Screen Shot 2021-01-20 at 8.57.50 AM

Harmful grass fly larvae found in shipment to International Falls

U.S. Customs and Border Protection officials safeguarded the shipment until the threat could be mitigated.

Keith Ellison

Minnesota high schoolers will be reimbursed for canceled European trips

Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison announced a settlement with the travel company Friday.

Donald Trump

Trump pardons Minnesota man convicted on drug charge in 1992

John Harold Wall was among the 143 people granted clemency in one of Trump's final acts as president.

Related

Miguel Sano

Twins aware of allegations against Miguel Sano, investigating

The 27-year-old is from the Dominican Republic.

Miguel Sano

Miguel Sano and his future in Minnesota

Twins Daily breaks down what the future holds for Sano.

Miguel Sano

Sano has the tools to defend 1st base for the Twins

Twins Daily's Nate Palmer explains why worries about Sano could be overstated.

Twins demote Miguel Sano to the minors

Sano is hitting just .203 on the season.

Twins updates: Buxton striking out a ton, Sano red-hot

Sano has eight hits in his last 17 at-bats.

Miguel Sano likely out until May because of foot problem

Sano suffered a laceration on the back of his foot during a celebration.

Miguel Sano not on the roster for tonight's Twins-Yankees game

He could be added to the roster if the Twins advance to play Cleveland.