A light fixture that fell from the ceiling during a high school wrestling match momentarily pinned an athlete, but he escaped with just minor injuries, the Madison Daily Leader reported. (Video below.)
The incident happened Friday night at an annual wrestling event in Madison, S.D., about 20 miles over the Minnesota border.
Madison High School's Michael McComish and a wrestler from a neighboring town were in the middle of their 160-pound match when the two went out of bounds. McComish then got back into postion on all fours in the center of the mat when a large round light about the size and shape of a small wading pool – but heavier – crashes down on him.
McComish bounces up with minor injuries after his opponent and a referee helped remove the fixture. Contrary to rumor, he told the Daily Leader he was not burned, although "it was warm underneath there."
"I have never seen anything like this at all, and I have attended all of these matches," former Madison coach Dale Waba told the Daily Leader. "I can't imagine what could have caused this to happen."
The high school student also notes on Twitter that he has been getting some national media attention. And the YouTube video has more than 100,000 views: