10 hospitalized with salmonella after eating Mexican-style cheese - Bring Me The News

10 hospitalized with salmonella after eating Mexican-style cheese

Author:
Updated:
Original:

Minnesota health officials are investigating after 13 people got sick with salmonella, likely from eating an unpasteurized Mexican-style cheese, the state Department of Health says.

Officials say all the people ate queso fresco at a private Minneapolis home. Officials said of the 13 who got sick, 10 were hospitalized. All recovered.

"While our immediate concern is that there might be additional illnesses associated with consumption of this particular product, we also want to remind people of the inherent risk of consuming any raw dairy product," said Dr. Carlota Medus, foodborne illness epidemiologist with MDH.

Investigators linked the illness to cheese that was bought from an individual who made the product in a private home. Investigators say that person made home deliveries and also may have sold the product on a street corner near the East Lake Street area of Minneapolis, according to the department.

Salmonella is an organism that can cause serious infections in high-risk groups. Healthy people infected with salmonella often experience diarrhea, fever and abdominal pain.

Earlier this week, health officials reported a link between three salmonella cases and ducklings bought from the Tractor Supply Co. store in Inver Grove Heights.

Next Up

Related