10-month-old baby alerts family of house fire

A southern Minnesota mother is calling her baby girl a hero. Samantha Meeks told the Albert Lea Tribune her family may not have made it out of their home if wasn't for her daughter crying. The home was destroyed.
Author:
Updated:
Original:

A southern Minnesota mother is calling her baby girl a hero. Samantha Meeks told the Albert Lea Tribune her family may not have made it out of their home if wasn't for her daughter crying. The home was destroyed.

Next Up

Ian Cole

Wild trade Greg Pateryn to Avalanche for Ian Cole

Cole won a pair of Stanley Cups in Pittsburgh and is a former first-round pick.

1024px-Hudson,_Wisconsin_9

St. Croix County GOP chair resigns after incendiary post on official website

John Kraft sparked controversy with his 'Prepare for War' post on the party website earlier this month.

ann kim

Ann Kim's new restaurant, Sooki & Mimi, to open in February

The James Beard Award winner is the brains behind Young Joni, Pizzeria Lola, and Hello Pizza.

Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 1.32.19 PM

Firefighters rescue worker after trench fall in Rochester

The construction worker fell about 15 feet.

gray wolf

Grand Marais mayor's dog survives attack by wolves

He heard his 65-pound dog "screaming bloody murder" and then saw the wolves chasing her.

Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 12.04.55 PM

Minnesota's COVID vaccine appointment site goes live

Huge demand was expected when the site went live at noon.

emily ford

Duluth woman is hiking 1,000-plus miles on the Ice Age Trail this winter

She could be the second person ever to finish a winter-thru hike of the Wisconsin trail.

coronavirus, covid-19, icu

Here is Minnesota's COVID-19 update for Tuesday, January 19

Two days in a row with fewer than 1,000 new cases.

Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 10.52.12 AM

After fire destroyed their house, couple forced to euthanize beloved dog

The couple's daughter has launched a fundraiser for her parents.

Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 10.16.14 AM

Investigation after teacher accused of lewd act during distance learning

No charges have been filed yet and the staff member has not been identified.

Related

6-year-old's alert saves family from fire that destroys Itasca County home

Six-year-old Paige Nason woke up in the night to find her pillow smoldering. She get her mother and siblings up and the family escaped the fire that destroyed their home near Deer River, although mom was injured when she went back inside to retrieve the family pets.

Doorbell alerts sleeping family to fire

An overnight house fire in Eagan shorted out the home’s doorbell which alerted the sleeping family to the blaze. Smoke alarms were not working, but the doorbell managed to wake up the mother and two children in the house and they were able to make it to safety.

Couple's baby dies, then house flooded

Richard Barber's baby, Spencer, was stillborn the night before the storm that brought record flooding to northeast Minnesota. Then the flooding hit his home in Barnum. “Emotionally, I couldn’t handle it,” Barber said. “With the loss of the baby, do I stay here and watch my house get swallowed by a river or do I go and be with my wife? Family comes first. I had to walk away from the house.”

Fargo woman accused of exposing baby daughter to meth

A 19-year-old mother in Fargo is facing a child neglect or abuse charge for allegedly exposing her 1-year-old daughter to methamphetamine, Forum Communications reports. Court documents say the baby girl's hair tested positive for traces of meth and was exposed to hazardous living conditions.

Man found dead in north Minneapolis house fire

A man was found dead inside a burning home in north Minneapolis Friday night. Around 8 p.m., firefighters were called to the home on 3838 Humboldt Ave. N. for a report of fire and discovered the body. It's unclear how the man died.

Gas leak, cigarette possibly caused house explosion

A neighbor rushed to the aid of a family whose house exploded in Tracy over the weekend, charging into the burning home to save a baby. The mother and three daughters who lived there were badly injured. Neighbors said the woman told them she had lit a cigarette prior to the blast.