Skip to main content

Judge releases 12-year-old accused in New Prague prank call

  • Author:
  • Updated:
    Original:

The boy who police say made a fake call to 911 last week claiming there had been a middle school shooting in New Prague has been allowed to go home for now, KSTP reports.

The middle school student had been held in a juvenile detention facility since last week, but a judge on Monday allowed the 12-year-old to be released to his parents on the condition that he have round-the-clock adult supervision, KSTP reports.

The false alarm March 20 threw a huge scare into the town of 7,300 about 45 miles southwest of the Twin Cities. Police, emergency responders and media swarmed the school, and officials canceled classes for the remainder of the day at district schools.

The boy has been charged with felony terroristic threats. His next hearing is set for April 22.

Next Up

state patrol

Minnesota state trooper injured at crash scene on I-35

The trooper was in his squad when another vehicle struck.

money hundred dollar bills

Charges: Man stole thousands from 3 Twin Cities banks

When he was arrested, police found a folding knife on him.

Kwesi Adofo-Mensah

Here's what Kwesi Adofo-Mensah said in his first press conference

The 40-year-old former Wall Street trader originally wanted to be an economics professor.

Caucuses

Minnesota DFL to allow non-voters to participate in its caucuses

The party is holding its precinct caucuses this Tuesday.

T Kline Robbinsdale City Council

Council member offers first comments on DWI, fleeing police charges

Prosecutors say he was drunk while fleeing police on the wrong side of the highway.

Seventh Street Truck Park shooting, St. Paul

Charges: Man schemed to illegally buy gun used in Truck Park mass shooting

He's the second person to be charged in connection to the straw-purchasing scheme.

Pexels - face mask covid holding

Walz announces $2 million to distribute KN95 masks in Minnesota

The announcement comes after federal officials have updated guidelines to recommend KN95 and N95 masks.

southwest light rail metro transit construction

Southwest LRT may now cost $2.75B, won't open until 2027

Met Council said last year it would open in 2023.

Aaron Rodgers

Broncos hiring Packers OC sparks speculation Rodgers could follow

What about both Rodgers and Davante Adams teaming up in Denver?

Minneapolis Fire Department

Fire tears through House of Charity building in Minneapolis

The charity serves hundreds of meals to those in need daily.

Kwesi Adofo-Mensah

Here’s what the Vikings owners say about new GM Kwesi Adofo-Mensah

The Vikings announced his hiring on Wednesday night.

raiaing canes brooklyn park crop

After 3-month delay, newest Twin Cities Raising Cane's opens

The restaurant was originally scheduled to open in October.

Related

Minnesota school bus driver accused of choking 12-year-old student

Monticello School District and other officials are investigating allegations by a 12-year-old 7th grade student who says he was choked by a bus driver Tuesday afternoon. Travis Walker claims he was attacked by the driver after he answered a cell phone call from a sibling who was locked out of the house.