2 charged in downtown Minneapolis shooting that left 6 injured

Author:
Publish date:
Image placeholder title

Two Minneapolis men face multiple charges for allegedly shooting at a group of people in downtown Minneapolis early Saturday morning and wounding six of them.

The Hennepin County Attorney's Office said Tuesday that Maurice Carter, 25, and Detroit Davis-Riley, 26, were each charged with nine counts of first-degree assault in connection with the shooting, which occurred at approximately 2:30 a.m. Saturday morning on Fifth Street and Hennepin Avenue.

According to the criminal complaint, at least nine uniformed police officers on bicycle and horseback were in the area at the time to to manage the crowd at bar closing time, when they heard a series of gunshots that came directly toward them.

Some of the officers said they heard bullets "whizzing by their heads," and heard others hit the light rail tracks nearby, the St. Paul Pioneer Press reports.

Several officers said they saw a man wearing a red sweatshirt firing a semi-automatic handgun toward the crowd. They quickly arrested him and found a gun tucked in his waistband, according to the criminal complaint. He was identified as Maurice Carter.

A second man, later identified as Detroit Davis-Riley, was also seen holding a handgun. Davis-Riley fled into a nearby alley, where he was captured.

Surveillance video showed both Carter and Davis-Riley firing their weapons, the complaint says. A third gunman was also identified but is still at large.

Police said at least 50 people were in the area at the time of the shooting, and they described the scene as "chaotic." Six people had been shot and they were taken to a hospital for treatment.

Carter and Davis-Riley are expected to make their first court appearances Wednesday. They face charges specifically for shooting at police officers, but the county attorney's office said the investigation into the shootings of the six civilians continues, and more charges may be filed based on those findings.

Davis-Riley was also charged with being a felon in possession of a firearm.

Minneapolis Police Chief Janeé Harteau has said her department will respond "vigorously" to gun violence such as the Saturday morning incident. She said the shooters showed “blatant disregard for human life and no fear of the consequences of their actions.”

County Attorney Mike Freeman said he has been asked to address the Minneapolis City Council about the downtown shooting and other public safety issues at its meeting Wednesday afternoon.

Next Up

Related