Man found in mall bathroom dead from suspected drug overdose - Bring Me The News

Man found in mall bathroom dead from suspected drug overdose

Author:
Publish date:
Image placeholder title

Rochester police have discovered the body of a man in a local mall who died from a suspected drug overdose.

The body of a 25-year-old man from Chatfield was found in a bathroom at the Apache Mall in Rochester at 7:15 p.m Monday, ABC 6 reports. He is thought to have died from a heroin overdose.

Police earlier reported that a 35-year-old woman found dead at her home in northwestern Rochester on Monday was also suspected to have died from a drug overdose, but have since said her death may have instead been the result of a pre-existing medical condition.

Capt. John Sherwin told the Rochester Post Bulletin police found her while carrying out a welfare check after neighbors complained of a "foul odor." He told ABC 6 that syringes also found in her apartment have since tested negative for narcotics.

"At this time, we are backing away from classifying her death as an overdose," he said.

The final cause of death in both cases will be determined by a coroner in the coming weeks.

Many police departments around the country have seen an increase in drug overdoses in recent years – especially with heroin, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported in March. The greatest increase of heroin overdose deaths has been reported in the Midwest, the CDC notes.

 (Photo: National Institute on Drug Abuse)

(Photo: National Institute on Drug Abuse)

Next Up

Related