Two men have been charged in connection to a shooting at a north Minneapolis bus stop in which an innocent bystander was shot in the face.
Anthony Lamont Foote, 24, of St. Paul, and Anthony Revon Clay, 25, of Robbinsdale, are both charged with attempted first-degree murder, second-degree assault and possessing a firearm. Clay also faces a charge of fleeing a peace officer in a vehicle in connection to the Aug. 11 shooting.
“Random shooting on our streets must stop,” Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman said in an email news release, adding their "aggressive prosecution" will show how seriously they take crimes like this.
Police responded to a bus stop near Dowling Avenue and Fremont Avenue North in Minneapolis, where they found a man who had been shot in the face.
Witnesses said two different parties started shooting at each other and the victim was caught in the crossfire.
The victim had been talking to the intended target, a man identified only as E.W. told police.
After the shooting, the two suspects – later identified as Foote and Clay – fled the scene in a Chevy Impala.
When police tried to pullover the vehicle, Foote got out and fled on foot, carrying a handgun wrapped in a T-shirt. He was eventually arrested, and the handgun was recovered after a search using a K-9 officer.
Clay, who was driving the car, failed to stop for officers and fled in the Impala before being arrested.
Foote told investigators he saw a person at the bus stop who had previously shot at him and his friends, so they parked their car around the block and shot at the person. Foote said he fired his gun roughly 10 times.
Foote and Clay made their initial court appearances Monday afternoon, where bail was set at $1 million, the news release said.