Two men were fatally electrocuted Sunday morning while working on a farm in Sand Creek Township.
The Scott County Sheriff's Office says they were lifting a farming auger when it hit an overhead power line. A family member found the men unresponsive around 10 a.m.
Officials attempted CPR and defibrillation on both men. The 53-year-old man was pronounced dead at the scene, while a 25-year-old man was flown to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
"It is with a heavy heart that I can confirm that this incident took the lives of two of our residents," Sheriff Luke Hennen said in a statement. “Clearly, this is a tragedy for their families as well as the entire community.”
Shakopee Valley News says the men were father and son. Their identities will be released by the Hennepin County Medical Examiner.
The Scott County Sheriff's Office is investigating, and will release more information when it becomes available.
Electrocution on farms kills an estimated 35 agricultural workers in the United States every year, according to a report by Iowa State University. The report says contact with overhead power lines is among the most common risks of electrocution on farms, and it can be avoided.
There were 62 fatal work injuries in Minnesota in 2014, the most recent data available. Of those, "farmers, ranchers, and other agricultural managers" was among the occupations that saw the most deaths, with 14 in 2014, according to the Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry. "Miscellaneous agricultural workers" accounted for four fatalities that year as well.