A second former Boy Scout who alleged abuse by a Burnsville scoutmaster has reached a settlement with the Boy Scouts of America.
Former scout leader Peter Robert Stibal II was sentenced in June 2011 and is serving a 21-year prison sentence for sexually abusing four boys.
The plaintiff in the latest civil-case settlement, known in the suit as John Doe 180, is the second to reach a settlement with the Scouts in cases related to Stibal. The plaintiff, now an adult, says he was abused from 2003 to 2008 at Stibal's cabin in Stearns County, at his Burnsville home, at a Cottage Grove drive-in theater and at an Eagan movie theater.
The plaintiff alleged that the Scouts organization was negligent in allowing Stibal access to children and for failing to warn parents about the risks of pedophiles in the organization, the Associated Press notes.
"The behavior included in these reports runs counter to everything for which the Boy Scouts of America stands. Our thoughts and prayers go out to those who may be a victim of this type of reprehensible behavior," spokesman Deron Smith said in a statement.
A lawyer for the man told the Pioneer Press that terms of the settlement would not be immediately disclosed. The matter had been set to go to civil trial May 12.
"I think he's relieved, and I think he feels like he was a part of something that will make a difference in the future," plaintiff lawyer Sarah Odegaard told the newspaper.
Another plaintiff, known as John Doe 170, settled a lawsuit against Stibal and the Boy Scouts in March 2013, the Pioneer Press notes.
Another lawyer for the plaintiff and a well-known attorney in clergy abuse cases, Jeffrey Anderson, has claimed the Boy Scouts of America has had "longstanding knowledge of the scope of a serious problem like Stibal."
The Boy Scouts organization has been reeling from allegations of abuse since 2012, when an Oregon court forced the public disclosure of thousands of pages of long-secret records commonly called the "perversion files." The documents detailed sex-abuse allegations within the organization from the mid-1960s to the mid-1980s.
As part of the Stibal case, a Minnesota judge in January 2013 ordered the handover of more confidential national Boy Scout documents, chronicling sexual abuse from 1999 to 2008.