2nd teen charged in attack on Mark Andrew

Author:
Publish date:
Social count:
0

Hennepin County prosecutors want a 17-year-old girl certified as an adult to face robbery and assault charges stemming from an attack against former Minneapolis mayoral candidate Mark Andrew.

The Associated Press reports the girl is on electric home monitoring pending a court appearance. Meanwhile, an alleged accomplice – 18-year-old Letaija Cutler-Cain of Brooklyn Park – made her first court appearance and a judge set bail at $50,000, the AP says.

As FOX 9 reports, the charges against the 17-year-old from Minneapolis allege that she used a retractable metal baton to beat the 63-year-old Andrew as he chased a young man who had stolen his phone at a coffee shop in the Mall of America. FOX says the phone was later found in another part of the Bloomington mall.

WCCO reports authorities are still searching for the young man who took the phone. According to the station, Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman says he will ask another county to handle the prosecution because of his friendship with Andrew, who was a longtime county commissioner before finishing second in November's mayoral race.

Cutler-Cain is charged with aiding and abetting robbery and assault for allegedly joining in the attack on Andrew, who needed nine stitches to close wounds to his head. The Pioneer Press reports prosecutors at Monday's court hearing asked the judge to set bail at $100,000, citing the severity of the beating. But the paper says a public defender argued Cutler-Cain has no money to her name and noted she is an honor student at the alternative high school she attends.

The beating of Andrew received attention from news outlets across the U.S. and even in Europe.

U.S. Sen. Amy Klobuchar made reference to last week's incident in renewing her call for the wireless industry to help combat cell phone theft by making security features such as a "kill switch" more widespread.

Related

Next Up