3 adults, 1 child die in suspected carbon monoxide leak; 4 others hospitalized

Author:
Publish date:
Image placeholder title

A possible carbon monoxide poisoning in North Dakota is being blamed for the deaths of four people and the hospitalization of four others.

According to the Grand Forks Herald, Bonnie Fisher, 45, and three young children – ages 4 years old, 2 years old, and 8 months old – were rescued by first responders from the home near Blanchard late Sunday and taken to the hospital.

Fisher was reportedly in stable condition Monday night; the conditions of the others were not reported.

Four others – Fisher's boyfriend (who owned the home), her adult son, her adult daughter, and a grandson – were declared dead at the scene, Valley News Live reports.

The station notes a 911 call from inside the home alerted authorities to the apparent poisoning.

According to KFGO, investigators reported a "propane-fueled tankless water heater" being used to fill a large swimming pool was responsible for the leak.

Carbon Monoxide Dangers

According to the Minnesota Department of Health, CO poisoning is of grave concern because it is an odorless, colorless gas that can't be detected by human senses and often emits from faulty furnaces, heaters and other appliances.

Poisonings are most prevalent during the winter months, when such heaters are in frequent use.

Earlier this year, state officials issued a reminder about CO dangers following a rash of deaths, urging residents to purchase Carbon Monoxide detectors for their homes.

The Star Tribune reported CO deaths have been going up in recent years, with 22 deaths in 2014 – a slight jump over the 18 fatalities the year before.

You can read more about CO and how to prevent poisonings in your home by clicking here.

Next Up

Related