Three officers who are accused of shooting a man in a parking ramp at Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport last month have been cleared.
MSP Airport spokesman Patrick Hogan says an internal review and an investigation by the Hennepin County Sheriff's Office found the officers' actions were justified when they fired at the car 36-year-old Mohamud Mohammed Maye was driving, the Pioneer Press reports.
Maye, of Maple Plain, has been charged with three counts of first-degree assault against a police officer in the April 25 incident in which he's accused of driving his car at the officers, injuring two of them and barely missing the third.
The officers had responded to the parking ramp after reports of a suspicious vehicle. That's when Maye drove at them, charges note. Officers fired at the car when Maye refused orders to stop.
The car then crashed and Maye was arrested and taken to the Hennepin County Medical Center for treatment, where he remains in custody.
Nicholas Gegen, Maye's attorney, told the Star Tribune he has a "very serious head injury he suffered due to a shot in the head."
His injuries have forced his first court appearance to be postponed several times because he can't leave the hospital, Gegen told the newspaper.
Gegen told MPR News there was "some confusion" on what the officers wanted Maye to do with his car prior to the shooting.
Officials haven't released information regarding the review of the officers' actions.
Sgt. Roby Desubijana and officers Robert Buth and Dylan Thomas were placed on administrative leave following the shooting, which is standard procedure. They are expected to return to work, the Pioneer Press notes.