5-year-old boy's body pulled from NW Minnesota river

Author:
Updated:
Original:

A 5-year-old boy's body was pulled from the water at a northern Minnesota campground early Sunday.

This embed is invalid

The boy, identified as Dustinio Casares, was reported missing around 7 p.m. Saturday at the Florian Park Campground in Marshall County, according to WDAY.

He had been playing with other kids in the Tamarac River when he went missing, reports say.

Nearly 500 first responders and volunteers conducted a search of the campground and water, Forum News Service says.

After about six hours, divers recovered his body, the Marshall County Sheriff's Office told KFGO.

“He meant everything, he was the baby of the family,” David Casares, Dustino's father, told Forum News Service. "His smile, his gesture, his approach, his energy, his gracefulness."

As of June 6, there had been 10 non-boating drownings in Minnesota this year, according to the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources. Last year at the same time, there were 13.

Next Up

Drywall

Husband and wife sentenced for fraud scheme through their drywall firm

The Annandale pair bilked an insurance company out of more than $300,000.

ambulance

4 pedestrians suffer life-threatening injuries after being struck by vehicle

Two vehicles crashed into a car that was on the side of the road after striking a deer.

Marcus Carr

Gophers season preview: New lineup, deeper bench, more questions

Mathew Goldstein takes a deep dive into the murky waters of the college hoops season.

20201107_vivir-1151-Edit

Photos: ViV!R, Minneapolis' new Mexican cafe and shop, is now open

The team behind the acclaimed Popol Vuh have opened the cafe in the same space.

MasklessJudgesinWiscoyTownship

At Wiscoy Township's sole precinct, election judges ditched masks

Voter and Wiscoy resident Kaitlyn O'Connor took a photo of the judges after asking them to wear masks, she said

paisley park

Paisley Park to open pop-up shop at Mall of America

The new store is set to open on Black Friday.

blue-and-white-sorry-we-re-closed-wooden-signage-1171386

COVID-19: Here's what Gov. Walz, Republicans are proposing to help businesses

Once they come to an agreement, Walz will call a special session to pass the legislation.

Jacob Frey

Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey planning to run for reelection

Frey said in a radio interview that 2020 has been a "horrible" year.

Monello

Monello, P.S. Steak will switch to sandwiches, noodles during shutdown

The Minneapolis eateries are pivoting during the closure of dine-in service.

Related