'60 Minutes' examines story of ND student found dead after becoming informant

Publish date:

Andrew Sadek was 20 years old, a student at North Dakota State College of Science, when he vanished in May of 2014.

Weeks later, his body was found in the Red River with a gunshot wound to the head.

Since then, it's been revealed that Sadek was busted for selling marijuana, about $80 worth, months before. With the threat of charges hanging over his head, he agreed to become a confidential informant for regional authorities.

On Sunday night, CBS's "60 Minutes" examined the practice of authorities using young, low-level offenders as undercover informants – and how critics say they're forced to maintain secrecy while being too naive to know the real dangers they're in.

Sadek was one of the students-turned-informants featured. His parents told the news program they had no idea what Sadek was doing, and would have encouraged him not to do it if they'd been made aware.

The "60 Minutes" piece is in two parts. Video is embedded below.

This embed is invalid

This embed is invalid

No arrests have been made in Sadek’s death. A Facebook page called Justice for Andrew Sadek has about 4,900 supporters.

Cooperation with the task force

Video of Sadek speaking with an agency task force member about becoming an informant was posted on YouTube by Valley News Live.


The details of Sadek’s role with law enforcement are written in an official review of how the Southeast Multi-County Agency (SEMCA) Drug Task Force handled the college student.

Valley News Live obtained a copy of the report (published Jan. 27, 2015), and posted it online. Click here to read it.

According to the document:

Sadek sold marijuana to confidential informants in April of 2013, which resulted in a search of his dorm seven months later when SEMCA agents found drug paraphernalia. Sadek spoke with officials about the charges he could face – and what he could do about it, and at a recorded meeting completed paperwork to become a confidential informant.

In January of 2014 he conducted three “controlled buys” for the BCI. He needed to make one more controlled buy from an earlier suspect, and purchase from a new suspect, in order to resolve the charges he was facing.

But he stopped contacting the task force after that.

It doesn’t say in the document when exactly SEMCA lost contact with Sadek, but his last controlled buy was in January, and he disappeared on May 1.

The review found no concerns with the way SEMCA and law enforcement handled Sadek and the work that was done.

Next Up