Seven Twin Cities men have pleaded guilty to various crimes they carried out while members of a "violent" gang based in south Minneapolis.
The crimes to which they have confessed, between the seven of them, comprise conspiracy to possess firearms in furtherance of drug trafficking, felon possession of ammunition, and distribution of cocaine.
These crimes, Luger said, are all related to a "multi-year gang war" between the street gangs and their rivals, the Bloods and the Bogus Boys.
Between Jan. 2013 and Aug. 2015, the two gangs – which operate mainly between Franklin Avenue and Lake Street, and Interstate 35W and Minnehaha Avenue – engaged in schemes trafficking crack cocaine, heroin and marijuana.
As part of the operation, members would "routinely engage in gun violence with rival gangs" as part of a turf war, attacking and seizing territory, and robbing drug distributors from opposing gangs.
This turf war resulted in multiple shootings of gang members of both sides, some of which proved fatal.
"Seven gang members are now behind bars," Luger said. "Today’s guilty pleas are an important step forward for public safety, but our work is not done. Already this year, there have been dozens of shots-fired incidents across Minneapolis.
"Working together with all our law enforcement partners, including the ATF and Minneapolis Police Department, we are committed to ending the gun violence that disrupts the peacefulness of neighborhoods across Minneapolis."
The guilty pleas were entered by:
- Daniel Alfred Adams aka "Funk," 29, Minneapolis: Conspiracy to possess firearms in furtherance of a drug trafficking crime.
- Clarence James Dickens Jr. aka "Claro" aka "Sneaky," 24, Roseville: Conspiracy to possess firearms in furtherance of a drug trafficking crime.
- Anthony Pierre Doss aka "Two Tone" aka "Tony," 25, Brooklyn Park: Conspiracy to possess firearms in furtherance of a drug trafficking crime.
- Percy Minifer Lacey Jr. aka "P3," 22, Richfield: Conspiracy to possess firearms in furtherance of a drug trafficking crime.
- Thomas Dupree Bennett aka "Deandre Clay," aka "Trigga," 28, Minneapolis: Felon in possession of ammunition.
- Andrew Indelicato Peterson aka "Boo Boo," 25, St. Louis Park: Felon in possession of ammunition.
- Paul Antonio Early aka "Stamps" aka "Man Man," 23, Minneapolis: Distribution of cocaine base.