7 MN men accused of trying to support IS won't be released before trial - Bring Me The News

7 MN men accused of trying to support IS won't be released before trial

Author:
Publish date:
Image placeholder title

The seven Minnesota men accused of trying to support the Islamic State militant group in Syria will not be released prior to their February trial, a federal court judge decided Wednesday.

U.S. District Judge Michael Davis told defense attorneys at Wednesday's hearing that "at this point there are no conditions" for release, the Star Tribune reports.

In July, the judge denied an earlier request to release some of the men before trial.

Judge Davis also ruled that the men wouldn't be tried individually, FOX 9's Rob Olson tweeted, setting the trial date for Feb. 16, 2016, MPR News says.

The seven men – Abdirahman Yasin Daud, Zacharia Yusuf Abdurahman, Hanad Mustafe Musse, Guled Ali Omar, Adnan Abdihamid Farah, Mohamed Abdihamid Farah and Hamza Naj Ahmed – pleaded not guilty to conspiring to provide material support to a foreign terrorist organization, among other charges, after being arrested earlier this year following a months-long federal investigation.

The pretrial release petition was among dozens of motions filed by defense attorneys in the past few weeks, MPR News reported, including a request to reveal the identity of the government's paid informant who helped in the investigation.

However, prosecutors say for the informant's safety, their identity shouldn't be released until the trial gets closer, according to the Star Tribune.

Next Up

Related