The Minnesota Department of Public Safety says there were at least eight traffic deaths throughout the state from Sept. 6-9, one the deadliest weekends so far this year.
The fatalities include 20-year-old Brady Sontana who was killed in Minneapolis early Monday morning after his vehicle was hit by a driver fleeing police.
In Renville County, 76-year-old Thomas Kopel and 74-year-old Carla Kopel, both of Olivia, Minn., were killed Sunday night after the car they were riding in rear-ended a farm implement on Highway 71, WCCO reported.
Other deaths were reported in Anoka, Carver, Otter Tail, St. Louis and Watonwan counties, the department said.
DPS says the death total has reached 250, up from 238 at this time last year. The department projects 415 deaths for 2013, up from 295 in 2012.
Three of the fatalities were motorcyclists, bringing rider deaths up to 53 this year. DPS says the state is on pace for 68 deaths in 2013, up from 55 in 2012.
April 5-7 was the deadliest weekend yet in 2012 with 10 deaths, followed by May 31-June 2 when eight people were killed.