A 7-year-old girl died following a "medical emergency" on Lake Minnetonka Sunday evening.
The Hennepin County Sheriff's Office was called to the docks behind Cov restaurant on Wayzata Bay just before 5 p.m. Sunday for a girl who was unresponsive, the Lakeshore Weekly News reports.
Officials found the girl on the dock and transported her to the Hennepin County Medical Center, where she was pronounced dead, WCCO says.
The Hennepin County Sheriff's Office says it was not a drowning, but didn't provide further details. KARE 11 is reporting a letter from the girl's school says carbon monoxide caused her death.
The Hennepin County Medical Examiner's Office will release the child's name and official cause of death, reports note.
Agencies from other cities, including Plymouth, Orono, Wayzata and the Minnesota State Patrol all responded to the 911 call, KSTP says.
The sheriff's office is investigating.
Carbon monoxide and boats
Carbon monoxide from engine exhaust can build up inside and outside boats in areas near exhaust vents, the CDC notes. The agency urges people to stay away and not swim near the areas while propulsion engines or generators are running.
Although carbon monoxide exposure is possible with boats, it's not all that common. In 2014, only one incident of carbon monoxide exposure involving recreational boating was reported. That person was injured, according to the United States Coast Guard's 2014 report.