Health officials confirm 9 cases of fungal meningitis

The Minnesota Department of Health says two new cases of fungal meningitis linked to a deadly outbreak has been confirmed, bringing the total to nine in the state. The potentially deadly infections are caused by contaminated injectables produced by the New England Compounding Center of Framingham, Mass.
Author:
Publish date:

The Minnesota Department of Health says two new cases of fungal meningitis linked to a deadly outbreak has been confirmed, bringing the total to nine in the state.

The eighth case is a man in his 60s that tested positive for the infection weeks ago after receiving spinal injections, but did not seek treatment, The Star Tribune reports. The ninth case also involves a man who received steroid injections in Minnesota but moved to Tennessee before he was diagnosed.

The last seven cases involve women ranging in age from 20s to 70s and one man in his 50s.

Nationally, the death toll stands at 24. There are currently 328 confirmed cases in 18 states.

The potentially deadly infections are caused by contaminated injectables produced by the New England Compounding Center of Framingham, Mass.

State health officials say nearly 130 clinics throughout Minnesota purchased drugs from NECC, but they do not know how many people received the drugs.

Next Up

Related

MDH: 11th case of fungal meningitis confirmed

The Minnesota Department of Health reports another case of fungal meningitis linked to a deadly nationwide outbreak. The new case brings the statewide total to 11. Doctors are finding some patients are developing spine infections following treatment for the infection.

MDH: 7 cases of fungal meningitis in Minnesota

The Minnesota Department of Health confirmed Wednesday two new cases of fungal meningitis linked to the national outbreak, increasing the number of patients diagnosed with the potentially deadly infection to seven statewide.

Fourth meningitis case linked to outbreak confirmed in Minn.

The Minnesota Department of Heath says a fourth case of fungal meningitis has been identified in the state. The patient is a woman in her 70s. Two other Minnesota women, both in their forties, with the infection were released from the hospital last week and are being treated on an outpatient basis.

Meningitis fears flood Health Department

The Health Department has now contacted most of the Minnesotans who were injected with a recalled steroid linked to an outbreak of fungal meningitis. Many of them reported symptoms of meningitis, but the symptoms were mild and could have been caused by other factors. The state epidemiologist says the number of confirmed cases in Minnesota remains at three but could grow.

Mass. pharmacy in meningitis case not licensed to distribute in Minn.

The Massachusetts pharmacy that supplied a back-pain steroid treatment blamed for a deadly nationwide meningitis outbreak isn't licensed to distribute the drug in Minnesota, the Associated Press reports. About 120 people have been sickened by the outbreak nationwide, including three in Minnesota, and 12 have died.

3rd Minnesotan hospitalized with meningitis tied to steroid injection

The Health Department now says three Minnesota women in their 40s are hospitalized with the rare form of fungal meningitis linked to injections of a steroid provided by a Massachusetts lab. That lab recalled all of its products over the weekend. Nationwide the outbreak includes more than 90 people, seven of whom have died.

Meningitis outbreak grows nationally, steady in Minnesota

Health officials have confirmed three cases of fungal meningitis in Minnesota, while hundreds of other patients who were injected with a recalled steroid are being tested. An executive with one of the clinics that dispensed the steroid says officials are reassuring patients while also arranging tests for those who need them. Nationwide, the death toll in the fungal meningitis outbreak has reached 11, with the number of cases over 100.