9 Minnesota counties will get federal money to pay for flooding damage

The September storms caused millions of dollars worth of damage in southern Minnesota.
Author:
Updated:
Original:

Nine southeastern Minnesota counties are getting money from the federal government to help following the heavy rainstorms and flooding that caused millions of dollars worth of damage back in September.

President Barack Obama declared a major disaster in the state at the request of Gov. Mark Dayton following the Sept. 21-22 storms that dumped up to 10 inches of rain in some southern Minnesota communities in a span of 48 hours, a news release says.

All this rain fell on already saturated ground from the wet summer Minnesota had, which caused flash flooding, washed out roads and flooded basements, according to the Minnesota DNR. The flooding was so bad in some places, people were forced to abandon their cars on the road. (See photos of all the damage here.)

Officials assessed the damage in Blue Earth, Fillmore, Freeborn, Goodhue, Houston, Le Sueur, Rice, Steele and Waseca counties last month. They estimated there was $8.3 million in eligible public infrastructure damage in these counties, as well as around $10.1 million of household and individual damage.

With the president's declaration, FEMA will pay for 75 percent of the eligible public infrastructure costs (like removing debris or repairing or replacing storm-damage public infrastructure), while the state of Minnesota will pay the remaining 25 percent.

This federal aid could also help people pay for flooding damage to their homes. That request from Gov. Dayton is still under review by FEMA.

Next Up

Mondale

Walter Mondale dies at age of 93

His death was confirmed by family on Monday.

National Guard

Man charged in connection to shooting that injured National Guard troops

Four soldiers were inside a military vehicle that was shot at.

Chauvin trial

Walz declares emergency in Twin Cities, bringing in police from Ohio and Nebraska

The governor has asked the Legislature for emergency funding for the additional police.

derek chauvin court - closing arguments

Closing arguments in Derek Chauvin trial: Here's what was said

The jury listened to lengthy presentations from the prosecution and defense.

helicopter-186718_1280

Man, 55, airlifted to a hospital after hit-and-run in Granite Falls

The passenger in the vehicle told police about the incident.

Minneapolis, unrest

Facebook labels Minneapolis 'high-risk,' will remove posts that incite violence

Facebook will remove posts that call for weapons to be brought to Minneapolis and anything that celebrates George Floyd's death.

MyPillow

After being sued, MyPillow is now suing Dominion Voting Systems

The company's lawsuit claims the voting system suppressed free speech and hurt its business relationships.

Chet Holmgren

Chet Holmgren makes his decision ... and it's Gonzaga

The Minnesota basketball phenom is following the footsteps of Jalen Suggs.

Sarah Glover

MPR News hires NBC's Sarah Glover as new managing editor

The experienced journalist was the first to serve two terms as president of the National Association of Black Journalists (NABJ).

football play

Watch: Sixth-grader with cerebral palsy makes touchdown in Detroit Lakes

Kale Hannahs' classmates made sure he got a chance to play during recess.

coronavirus, covid-19

Here is Minnesota's COVID-19 update for Monday, April 19

The latest from Minnesota health officials.

Related

Feds approve disaster aid for NE Minnesota flood damage

The disaster declaration for 13 Minnesota counties and three tribal nations devastated by flooding in northeastern Minnesota last month was approved Friday by the federal government. The $108 million in aid only covers damage to public infrastructure.

Klobuchar surveys Duluth flood damage, calls it 'massive'

U.S. Sen. Amy Klobuchar toured flood-damaged areas of Duluth and other parts of northeastern Minnesota Friday, and after declaring the damage massive assured federal aid would be coming to the area. The federal government contributes more than 75 percent to uninsured public infrastructure when natural disasters cause more than $8 million damage.

Franken tours flood damaged cities in NE Minnesota

U.S. Sen. Al Franken had a busy Saturday visiting several areas damaged in recent flooding in northeastern Minnesota. Franken -- who co-sponsored the state's $108 million disaster declaration with Gov. Mark Dayton and U.S. Sen. Amy Klobuchar -- made stops in Duluth's Fond du Lac neighborhood, Barnum, Moose Lake and Willow River.

Flooding, wind damage reported as storms move through MN

A second round of storms is possible later tonight.

Hwy. 93 flooding

Walz authorizes aid for counties affected by summer floods

The aid will support five counties and cover 75% of damage costs.